Sunday, March 12, 2017

Genres?


When deciding on the genre in which my movie opening will portray I tried to think of my favorite films and their respective genres. My favorite movies consist of all Quentin Tarantino directed films, Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, Memento, Inception, and True Romance. A reoccurring genre across all of these films is drama, thriller, crime, action, and mystery. It only makes sense, considering these are my favorite movies, that I create something that falls into one of these genres in some fashion.
Although I find that films unconventionally using typical characteristics are especially unique I feel I should stay on the conventional side. In the movie From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) directed by Robert Rodriguez and written by Quentin Tarantino a very unconventional genre switch occurred. The movie abruptly transitions from a crime/drama genre esque abduction of a family to a vampire infested, horror survival film. This unconventional mid movie genre switch, bizarre as it be, was used very well, and it greatly increased the memorability of this film. However much fun it may be to create something like this, I'm hesitant, and leaning towards being more conventional due to the fact a crazy genre swing like this can come across as disappointing, and be poorly received. Using traditional genre characteristics is a safer bet, and will be the route I'm going.
Due to my favorite films having a major influence on the type of film opening I'm going to want to put together I'm certain my film will fall into the genre of either drama, thriller, crime, action, or mystery. I plan to conduct research extensively on these genres in order to gain insight into things that go into creating a production of such genre. Quirks and methods generally used within the genre will be displayed within my movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment